Are you tired of spending hours on tedious and repetitive property management tasks? Do you wish there was a way to streamline your operations and save time and money?
Well, you're in luck. In this blog, we'll discuss the property management tasks you should automate.
From resident screening to package management, we'll show you how implementing property management automation can transform your business operations.
1. Rent Collection
One of the most time-consuming and frustrating property management tasks is rent collection. Chasing residents for payments, processing statements and dealing with late fees can be a real headache. Thankfully, you can automate rent collection, and it's quickly becoming an industry norm.
Online payment systems are one way to automate this property management task. They allow residents to pay their rent electronically through a bank transfer or credit/debit card payment.
Another great option is using property management software with a rent collection feature. You can create and send invoices to residents, track payments and automatically apply late fees when necessary.
Many of these programs also integrate with online payment systems, making the entire rent collection process seamless and hassle-free.
- Eliminates the need for you to collect or chase residents for payments physically
- Makes it easy to set up automatic recurring payments, which means you don’t have to worry about rent payments being late or missed
- Reduces the likelihood of errors
- Improves cash flow
- Reduces the risk of resident disputes
- Improves resident satisfaction
2. Turn Management
Getting apartments ready for move-in is another time-consuming property management task that you can easily automate with the right tools and technology.
Specific turn management software lets you connect with third-party vendors quickly for scheduling maintenance work, including cleaning, painting, carpet care, punching and more. With just one click, you can also book backup vendors to ensure your tasks are completed on time.
Additionally, some software allows you to schedule and keep track of progress for multiple units and properties, all from a single platform. Thanks to this technology, you no longer have to call a vendor to book work or scramble when a vendor doesn't show up.
- Saves time and money by streamlining the scheduling of vendors and tracking maintenance work
- Increases efficiency by reducing the need for manual tracking and paperwork
- Enhances resident experience and builds better relationships
- Reduces errors and improves cash flow
Marketing your business can be a challenging property management task, especially if you're not a marketing expert. Creating effective marketing campaigns that generate leads and drive business requires knowledge, experience and skill.
As a property manager, you may not have the time or expertise to handle all of your marketing tasks. So, why not let someone else do it? Instead of automating this property management task, you can outsource or delegate it.
Delegating your marketing tasks to someone else can help you tap into their expertise and experience to create effective campaigns tailored to your business's specific goals.
- Saves you time so you can focus on other aspects of your business
- Provides you with access to expert tools and strategies to drive your business’ success
- Gives you peace of mind to know that your marketing efforts produce promising results
4. Resident ScreeningResident screening is a crucial process in property management that can be laborious and costly. However, with technological advancements, resident screening can be automated, saving time and money.
One way to automate resident screening is by using online resident screening services. These services allow you to verify a resident's identity, credit history, criminal background and rental history with just a few clicks. You can also set up automatic alerts to notify you of any potential issues that may arise during the screening process.
Another way to automate resident screening is by using property management software. Many property management software programs have built-in resident screening tools. This software can also help you manage resident applications, track the status of each application and store all relevant documentation in one place.
- Ensures compliance with fair housing laws
- Reduces the risk of incomplete or inaccurate screening
- Provides detailed reports on resident backgrounds
- Offers a more objective and consistent screening process
5. Package Delivery
Multifamily residential buildings receive 70 packages a day on average. A proper system can save staff and residents from challenges caused by stolen packages and clutter in the lobby or reception area.
Thankfully, there are many options when automating this property management task, including package rooms, package lockers, off-site package storage and drop-off programs.
- Package rooms – Designated rooms within a property where packages are stored and organized for pickup
- Package lockers – Secure, automated lockers that allow residents to access their packages with a unique code or key
- Off-site package storage and drop-off programs – Partner with a nearby storage facility to store and manage packages.
Choosing the right package management system for your property can improve package delivery and pickup efficiency, providing a better experience for everyone involved.
- Increases convenience for residents
- Saves property managers time dealing with missing packages
- Enhances building security
- Reduces storage space and clutter
Discover More Property Management Tips
If you’re looking for more property management tips to save time and money, we’ve got you covered with our Saving Time and Money Playbook, which suggests strategies for tackling certain time-consuming tasks property managers face.